Are you terrified about your upcoming dentist appointment? You aren’t alone. The fear of the dentist is very common. It’s unfortunate as proper dental care is essential for good overall health. How can you get rid of your fear of the dentist? Here are some tips:
- Take great care of your teeth. If you’re terrified to visit the dentist, you’re likely more scare of dental procedures and equipment than the actual dentist. In order to avoid procedures that include the drill or pliers, brush twice a day, floss regularly, and use mouth wash. Your teeth will love you for it and your dentist will approve.
- Find a dentist who you enjoy talking to and makes you feel comfortable. This goes for the staff, too. Do your best to notice friendliness when you visit a dentist for the first time. Ask your friends and family if they can recommend a dentist who’s kind, funny, and efficient. Most dentists understand that patients are a bit uncomfortable in their chairs. But they want you to be as calm as possible.
- Remember that you aren’t alone in your fear. The number of people who miss, cancel, or never make dentist appointments out of fear would probably surprise you.
- Use breathing exercises before your appointment. Concentrate on your breath to remain calm.
- Schedule small appointments separately to avoid having multiple procedures on the same day. This will keep your mind at ease knowing that you only have to endure the procedure for a short time. However for some patients, this might not be the right approach. If you’re a “get it over with” kind of person, schedule everything all at once. Then mentally prepare for a long dental visit.